Thalaserry fort, located at a distance of 22 kms from Kannur constructed in 1708 AD was the military centre of the British.
When the British East India Company established its settlement on the Malabar Coast, they built the Thalaserry Fort, as a testimonial to their colonial imperialism. In 1700, the British built the Thalassery Fort on a small hill called Tiruvellapadkunnu and in 1708, it was strengthened by increasing its height and with bastions.
The fort is a square structure built of laterite and is distinguished by its massive ventilated walls and strong flanking bastions. The fort has secret tunnels to the sea and intricately carved huge doors. It was here that Haider's captain was imprisoned.
The fort has a cemetery and the collector's mansion nearby. Many British officials have been laid to rest in this cemetery that is named after Sir Edward Brennen.
The famous St.John's Anglican church is behind this fort.The fort was once the nucleus of Thalaserry's development.
Location: Thalassery, 21 kms south of Kannur.
Nearest Railway Station: Thalassery
Nearest Bus Station: Thalassery
Nearest Airports: Mangalore(140 kms), Kozhikode (100 kms)